I also took advantage of the major version number to introduce some incompatible changes, including switching to murmurhash 2, and other alterations to cachefiles. You’ll need to delete and regenerate them. In addition, the precise specification for a “tag” (i.e. string that can be used to identify an example) changed—you can’t have a space between the tag and the ‘|’ at the beginning of the feature namespace.
And, of course, we made it faster.
For the future, I put up my todo list outlining the major future improvements I want to see in the code. I’m planning to discuss the current mechanism and results of the cluster parallel implementation at the large scale machine learning workshop at NIPS later this week. Several people have asked me to do a tutorial/walkthrough of VW, which is arranged for friday 2pm in the workshop room—no skiing for me Friday. Come join us if this heresy interests you as well 🙂