- There is now a mailing list, which I and several other developers are subscribed to.
- The main website has shifted to the wiki on github. This means that anyone with a github account can now edit it.
- I’m planning to give a tutorial tomorrow on it at eHarmony/the LA machine learning meetup at 10am. Drop by if you’re interested.
The status of VW amongst other open source projects has changed. When VW first came out, it was relatively unique amongst existing projects in terms of features. At this point, many other projects have started to appreciate the value of the design choices here. This includes:
- Mahout, which now has an SGD implementation.
- Shogun, where Soeren is keen on incorporating features.
- LibLinear, where they won the KDD best paper award for out-of-core learning.
This is expected—any open source approach which works well should be widely adopted. None of these other projects yet have the full combination of features, so VW still offers something unique. There are also more tricks that I haven’t yet had time to implement, and I look forward to discovering even more.